Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Judge and Jury

Am I responsible for how my art is received by another person? If I write something for reason of expression and someone has a negative emotional response to it, am I required to feel guilty about it?

I've come to a point in my life where I feel that I don't have to be ashamed for what I am or for what I express. It's a process, right? Although I very rarely do anything with the intention to harm someone else, sometimes, out of ignorance or inexperience, I do. I can own up to that, apologize, learn from it and determine to change my ways. But I do not, ever, have to be ashamed of who I am in my process. Guilt and shame are completely counterproductive and regressive emotions. You can be accountable for your actions without punishing yourself with hateful emotions.

It's difficult for me to express my most intimate and honest thoughts directly. I have to summon my courage to put it out there, to surrender to it. I give myself full permission to explore certain aspects of myself without judgment or censorship. The truth of who I am is in constant flux and I accept that. I honor it even though sometimes it's not pretty or clean or logical.

It is surprising and disappointing to find that people don't even consider this flexibility of mind for themselves or for the people around them. If we can't express who we are with our friends - the good, bad & ugly - are they really our friends? What qualifies one person to stand in judgment of another?

I promise you I am not whatever you think I am.

1 comment:

  1. Who you are changes with every moment, so someone else's perception of you will - naturally - always be a little bit off-center.

    We learn true strength by just this lesson that you've written about - standing firmly in our truth regardless of others' opinions of that truth. Be proud of who you are in every moment; what else can you do?

    ReplyDelete